Upstream Gallery Amsterdam

Noor Nuyten

1986
Lives and works in Brussels

Noor Nuyten - Let’s Meet at 3 O’Clock
Let’s Meet at 3 O’Clock (2013)
A pair of watches worn by the gallerists of Upstream Gallery
The watch is running faster than the standard time. The people wearing them are connected by their own shared time, they can meet at 3 o’clock as indicated by their watches.
Photo: Gert Jan van Rooij

0 Degree Globe
A 0 °C Globe (2013)
Model of a globe made out of frozen water, globe’s standard.
The frozen water is melting as soon as it becomes above 0 °C.
Photo: Gert Jan van Rooij

0 Degree Globe
A 0 °C Globe (2013)
Photo: Gert Jan van Rooij

Measuring Space
Measuring Space (2010)
Flexible steelrule, helium balloon, 1.55 m
A balloon filled with helium is stretching a tape-measure.
When the helium slowly evaporates in the course of the time, the
tapemeasure slowly sinks down
Photo: Gert Jan van Rooij

Two MetersTwo Meters (2009)
Left: 5,5 x 2 x 1 cm, one meter tape-measure, Right: 4 x 2 x 1 cm,
one meter tape-measure. Centimeters cut from
a measuring instrument and glued together until 1 meter.
Photo: Gert Jan van Rooij

Leap Second
Leap Second (2013)
Clock hands, pillar. Moving sweep second against the pillar.
A leap second is a one-second adjustment that is occasionally applied to the Coordinated Universal Time in order to keep its time of day close to the mean solar time. 
Photo: Gert Jan van Rooij

The Dog and She
The Dog and She (2013)
Video, loop
An observation of two visitors at Upstream Gallery. One visitor is a dog and the other one a woman.
The dog is experiencing the gallery purely trough its instinct. The woman with a vision of 5%, the other 95% trough imagination.
Photo: Gert Jan van Rooij

A Handfull Skyline
A Handfull Skyline (Player II) (2013)
Playing cards
Before the invention of the elevator, life was organized more horizontally. Since the elevator it is possible to live vertically. The result of this vertical life is the rise of the Skyline, the contours of a city. 
Photo: Gert Jan van Rooij

Second Moment
Second Moment (2013)
Video, Loop
Description of abstract drawings for the exhibition ‘The palm at the end of the mind’. The video creates an exhibition which only exists for a short moment in the viewer’s imagination; disappearing in the next moment.
Photo: Gert Jan van Rooij

Exhibition
Noor Nuyten, exhibition overview The Palm at the End of the Mind, March 16th - April 20th 2013, Upstream Gallery.
Photo: Gert Jan van Rooij

nndotted-linesweb.jpg
Dotted Lines (2010)
Dotted Lines.jpg A Globe with a diameter of 50 cm
The dotted lines on the globe indicate nothing specific.
By following these dotted lines with a Stanley knife and peeling
the printed map drawing, another structure appears.

nnmeasured-through-web.jpg
Measured Through a Window a Building is 3 Mm (2010)
Handmade book, 30 x 40 cm
Several objects measured through a window and registered
in a notebook

nn-a-50c-horizonweb.jpg
A 50 °C Horizon (2010)
Two thermometeres of 50 °C, 60 x 4 cm
When it is 50 °C the red line, the horizon, will be finished.

nn-a-50-c-horizon-blow-upweb.jpg
A 50 °C Horizon (2010)(detail)

nn-folded-horizonweb.jpg
Folded Horizon (2011)
Hart Magazine #83, ink, A3 paper
A blank page with a sentence at the top right corner,
made of cut-out letters from older Hart Magazines.
Published by the Hart Magazine in Hart Magazine #83